Monday 30 January 2012

Juno


Juno

Year of production:  2007

Director: Jason Reitman

Main Stars: Ellen page, Michael Cera and Jennifer Gardner

Summary: The story revolves around a 16 year old girl called Juno  (Page)who finds herself pregnant after sleeping with her best friend Bleak (Cera). She changes her mind about having an abortion and instead finds herself getting to know a young couple (Gardner and Bateman). It’s a story of both growing up and relationships. It follows her through 4 seasons and the various issues that arise with a teenage pregnancy.

Thoughts: I thought this film was great as it tackles a well-known and often sensitive area but makes it funny instead of a deep film. I think Juno is played fantastically well and I feel the film works well within our age group as the characters are all meant to be around the same age. The use of the Sketches throughout the film when indicating what season the film is in enhances the fact that it is being shot from Juno perspective and I get the feeling it was like a ‘Scrapbook ‘of her. The soundtrack is superb most songs mirroring perfectly the attitudes of both Juno and Bleak. My only negative would have to be the relationship between Juno and the would be father, i understand its meant to highlight how unhappy he is but I found he was out across as a paedophile which I’m sure he’s not. Overall a bittersweet, moving story of what love is and the joys of being a teenager.
8/10

3 comments:

  1. I liked this film and how the serious situation of teen pregnancy had a comical approach to it. I did find how the parents reacted to their daughter being pregnant a bit casual which could send a wrong signal suggesting that teen pregnancy is alright. I wouldn’t say this is the best film I've seen but it was worth watching. I like how the sketches link in with the movie making it more teenage aimed along with a good combination of music which reflects the emotions of the characters. I had heard of this film being ‘great’ and ‘a must watch’ but for me it wasn’t as good as what I had expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this film too as , again , it touched upon sensitive teenage issues that usually wouldn't be discussed within a mainstream film. However , Michael Cera made this film for me as his acting , particularly his speaking , and his all together awkwardness makes it funny and enjoyable to watch. The soundtrack , particularly 'Any Else But You , by The Moldy Peaches', compliments the film well as it is sung in a genuine way with emotion relating to the mood of the film , as well as lyrics that are relevant and aren't just there to fill places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked this film, lovely acting and a good story. I haven't a seen a film handle the topic of teenage pregnancy quite as well as this one. As mentioned above, Michael Cera's acting is excellent in this film, portraying the awkward teen perfectly. The only downside I could find is the ending. It seemed a little bit lackluster.

    ReplyDelete