Monday 6 February 2012

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Hot Fuzz (2007)
Directed By: Edgar Wright
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Timothy Dalton
Viewed: May 2007

Plot: Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) is relieved of duty in London, and moved to the village of Sanford, where he meets a disfunctional policeman Danny (Nick Frost). After several fatal "accidents" occur in the village, he works with Danny to try and uncover the village's dark secret. Nicholas primarily suscpects the boss of a local Somerfields, Simon Skinner (Timothy Dalton), but discovers that the murders are due to something much larger, and it's up to only Danny and Nicholas to stop it.

Review: The editing in this movie jumps from one shot to the other very quickly, even during dialogue scenes, in fact, I don't remember many shots that last any much longer than 5 seconds. It really helps the movie feel very fast-paced. Many of the shots used are often close shots (mid-shots, close-ups, etc), helping give the film an intense atmosphere, making it all the more ironic that it mostly takes place in a village in the countryside.

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw this, I absolutely hated it! Home alone, I was completely petrified and turned the film off half way through.

    When I finally got the courage to watch the rest, I decided that the film was terribly made and thought that the director seemed to have got bored halfway through (immediately following the reveal of the murderers) and handed the camera equipment to a group of teenage boys who felt like filming beaten up Grannies.

    A couple of years ago, I re-watched the film and found it absolutely hilarious. I honestly couldn't fault it. The only change between this time and my first time of watching it was me.

    I think it only goes to show that the film was created to be aimed at older audiences who understand the references to other cop films and the witty dialogue. The spoof-like storyline which completely went over my head initially, is too intricate, yet subtle to really appeal to a younger people which is why (in addition to the scarring image of dead Grannies of course) I think the film's rating is spot on.

    ReplyDelete